Saturday, May 20, 2017

Welcome to Life Documented Week 21 With Anna

Hello, all you lovely documenters! 

Anna Friesen here, and privileged to be your guest this week here on the blog for Week 21!

Visit the FB page here: 

Monthly Theme: Bold and Bright
Quote: "Whatever is TRUE,
whatever is NOBLE,
whatever is PURE,
whatever is LOVELY,
whatever is ADMIRABLE 
- if anything is EXCELLENT or PRAISEWORTHY - 
think about these things. 
 - Phillipians 4:8 NIV
 PROMPT: Use stencils to decorate your backgrounds
TECHNIQUE: stencil randomly and loosely, using only portions of the stencils.

If you know me at all, I LOVE stencils, so no surprise that I chose stencils as the prompt. Haha!






My Week 21 consists of a weekly view over both pages in my Moleskine journal, and a tip-in with pockets. I decorated both sides of the tip-in, and the tip-in also serves as a tri-pocket. Tri-pocket? That doesn't sound right. But you probably get my drift- you know, three pockets. ;)

Weekly view:

I started by building up lots of paint using a brayer, brush and even a palette knife on the page using lots of white, neon purple, and hot pink paint.



Next, using my old calendar stencil as a guide, I penciled in my day spots with a black Stabilo All pencil. I placed them randomly.


Next, I took a small brush and activated the pencil to make it look messy and watercolour-ey.


Did some touchups to tame the wetness a little, as the water wanted to move everywhere, blotting with paper towel ocasionally. No scientific method here, just learn as you go. And LET GO of the notion of perfection. LOOSE, people. ♥♥♥ Like our Rae Missigman does things, right? ♥


Then I splattered the whole page with the Stabilo All and a wet brush. LOOSE. MESSY.


Next, I grabbed my favouritest stencil ever - a little circular one from StencilGirl, part of the April 2016 Stencilclub set. I LOOSELY, RANDOMLY sponged with paint through the stencils. See pic below of the actual design versus what it looks like on the project. :)





Then I added some green stenciling using a floral stencil from the November 2016 Nature and Nurture club stencil from StencilGirl.

I also swiped some chartreuse paint by the journaling spots and stenciled in some black spots with another little stencil gem from the April 2016 club stencil set.


Next I stamped with pumpkin orange, using the beautiful floral stencil again.


A grid-stencil was next. I used the bright pink, as I wanted this bolder.  I added it in three places over the two pages.




First tip-in: 

Next comes the facing tip-in. I don't have a lot of step-out photos to show you, but I started it by gelliprinting my heart out, then stamping on to the gelatin plate with a stamp from Paperbag studios, called Scrap and Journal Tools, designed by Roben-Marie Smith.



I added some reinforcements, and stamped with hot pink and lighter pink, using the gelatin plate as my "ink pad". I also pulled a print over the existing print where I had just stamped with the loaded and "stamped" gelatin print. I penciled in lines for added detail.


Next, came turqouise paint through the floral stencil, added in a little bit more details, and done. I love how juicy and messy it all looks.



Next, for the quote, I created little spots with the black Stabilo pencil, then wrote over it with a white gel pen, accenting the lovely adjectives with extra white, and outlining those words with a pink gel pen.

Then I sewed around the words and the outside edges. Later, I sewed the back tip-in to the front, sewing in the three pockets as well.

Second tip-in:






Gelatin magic with the grid stencil.



Add white and use the print with the grid marks.


Brayer with green over the print.


Add more white again.


Brayer more green on the print.


Stencil with white on the edges.



Then pink with a different flower on same stencil.


Smudge some white and green paint towards the bottom of the print.


Add white over the wet green, which makes the flower a light green.


Add turquoise blue to some areas with the Thorny stencil.


Stamp with black using the same stamp I used previously.


Add black dots with the dot stencil again.


Add some collage paper to some areas.


Outline the pink flower with the black Stabilo All pencil.




I had added some words to the left edge, but removed them, as I needed to cut down this print to fit into the journal.

Lastly, I stitched all around the edge, then sewed the two tip-ins together and sewed in the three pockets.


I used sari ribbon to the tags. (Gelliprints I cut down into small tags to fit the pockets. I will do some private journaling this coming week on these tags.)

Then I added washi tape to the top edge, and attached to the right hand side of the Moleskine page.



And there you have it. A very long blog post, but I hope I gave you some ideas on how to decorate with stencils. :)

Paint Colours Used: 
black and white paint
Martha Stewart Party Steamer, Marmalade, Snow Pea, Granny Smith, Camella Pink
Americana Bahama Blue
Craft Smart Pool Blue

Thanks for visiting!
Looking forward to seeing how you interpret the prompt for this week!

♥♥♥  Anna  ♥♥♥

www.artfulstories.blogspot.com
Instagram: @annawho









8 comments:

  1. What amazing pages!Thank you for this. I am gonna go do mine now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julia! Glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks you for this detailed post. it is crazy putting down many layers then it seems to fall in place. this post was really helpful in many many ways. It dispelled all the feelings when you start to do this and wonder "where am I going". it was helpful to find one is not alone and often have to cut off parts to fit a page. terrific gorgeous post for week 21.
    thanks
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes me so happy, Monica!! :)

      Delete
  3. Just absolutely blown away with this - you are so so talented Anna! I have always loved your style thank you so much for the time it has taken you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love! It's all so beautiful!
    Thank you so much for teaching us in such great detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sofia! Thanks so much! It means a lot! Will you host a week too? I'd love to see your process!!

      Delete